1. The single greatest excuse in the history of the Irish courts was spotted in The Wexford People in January
Source: Erica Wall
2. This incident on Lough Derg ended safely, but not before giving up a quintessential Irish headline
3. In May, some down to earth advice was imparted to joyriders in the area
Source: Derry Journal
4. Kerry’s Eye reported a serious search operation at the start of the year
Source: Kerry's Eye
5. 2017 was the year that an Irish chicken sandwich made CNN
6. The Connacht Tribune reported on the most Galway discovery back in February
Source: Connacht Tribune
7. Meanwhile, the Leinster Leader reported in on a notable erection in Kildare
8. The Derry Journal had the undisputed typo of 2017
9. This headline and photo combination has it all
10. Michael Healy-Rae had a dramatic solution to the rhododendron problem down in Killarney
11. The results of the census produced this from The Carlow People
12. And you really have to think The Inish Times was taking the piss here – even though all the words in the headline make sense
13. In Donegal, the Gardaí have a unique approach to law enforcement
14. What else would you be at with your communion money?
15. In Carlow, the Gardaí struck the motherload in the war against drugs
16. While in Castlebar, the great signage debacle of 2017 might still be rumbling on
17. The use of the word “invade” here is just delightful
The finest horse military tactics were used.
18. ”I don’t care if I get arrested, I f**king love the beoir”: a love story from Cork
19. Galway has had an eventful year
Was the pet rat saved?
20. “Kebabing” is now a thing in Wexford
21. There was chaos in Dungarvan at the end of the year
22. And finally, The Carlow Nationalist were in court to witness one Tullow woman completely lose the run of herself
What a year.