1. The green was the focal point of all activities and craic
It was the promised land.
2. You played Kerbs on a daily basis and at one point wished it was a real sport so you could go pro
“I’m pretty sure I’m the best 11-year-old Kerbs player in history.”
3. There were random walls around the place leading to nowhere that lads were obsessed with climbing
And the older you got, the bigger the wall you could could scale for the craic.
4. And also, just belting a ball against them for hours was a legitimate activity
5. There was usually another estate nearby that you almost certainly had a serious rivalry with
Even though you had never been there or met any of the other kids.
6. At one stage, the whole estate got mad into rollerblades
And by extension, roller hockey. It was a three-month-long phenomenon that took over the place.
7. Literally all your best friends lived within a three minute walk of your house
8. And there was no such thing as texting ahead when you were calling over to them
Just rock on up.
9. The only thing stopping you from camping out on the road permanently was the slow trickle of cars moving through
10. The sheer amount of houses really helped when Halloween came around
You had so many options, and no need for parental supervision.
11. And nick-nacking became an art form around the same time of year
12. There was a half decent shop within a few minutes walk, but it involved going outside the confines of the estate
Which meant real roads. There was usually an age restriction on when you were finally allowed venture.
13. If you got anything half decent on Christmas morning, you had a captive audience waiting for you outside
14. The whole estate was simply a giant playing field designed for tip the can
That was its primary function.
15. And bitter water fights could go on for days and days in the summer
16. And finally… when the ice cream van came it was pure chaos
The best <3
DailyEdge is on Snapchat! Tap the button below to add!