Here’s our President, Michael D Higgins.
Enjoying a bit of breakfast.
It’s his birthday! He’s 72 today, and still going strong (other than a bit of a gammy knee).
So we’ve compiled this list of reasons why he’s our most adorable president yet.
1. He’s a dashing international jet-setter
2. He gives great hugs
Basically him being president means he’s hugging all of us, all the time.
3. He’s a man of the people
(Even the guy on the right.)
4. But especially the ladies
5. In fact, he’s a bit of an all-round heartthrob
Michael D and the way he might look at you.
6. No woman is safe from his charms
7. Sometimes he just loses the run of himself altogether
8. I mean come on – he has his own SONG
By the SAW DOCTORS fer Chrissakes.
All together now: “Michael D Michael D, Up on his bikeldee…”
9. He sensibly wears a vest under his shirt, so he won’t catch cold
And he’s not afraid of statement eyewear.
10. He’s BFFs with Martin Sheen
“Get me Michael D on the secure phone, NOW.” (juicyecumenism.com)
11. And early-90s Tom Cruise is his hair inspiration
12. But it’s not all megastars for Michael. He’ll also share his match programme with the less fortunate
13. He trashed Martin McGuinness in this thumb war (just out of shot)
14. But he’s not afraid of bigger men
15. Maybe because he’s a bit of an athlete himself
16. And he doesn’t let a psyche-out from his rivals get to him
17. Even if sometimes it’s just like ‘I cannot deal right now’
18. Did we mention he tells a great ghost story?
19. Basically, he’s probably the most adorable president ever
20. And that’s before we even get to this
“Michael T Higgins”.
21. Happy birthday, Michael D!
All images Photocall Ireland! and Press Association except where noted. H/T to Darragh Doyle.