IT LOOKS LIKE 2018 is going to be dominated by talk of the referendum to repeal the 8th amendment – with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar saying that a vote would most likely take place next May or June.
This year, the Strike4Repeal in March and the March For Choice in September were two huge moments - and the protesters did an excellent job in representing their views through the age-old medium of signage:
1. Like this direct order
2. Who could forget the Mi Bodi pun?
3. There were so many good rhymes throughout the year
4. “Repeal the 8th you gowl”
5. Memes were brilliantly adopted into the cause
6. Some signs only needed powerful text
7. While others were improved with imagery
8. Simpsons memes, in fact, were prominent throughout
9. Some effort went into these
10. These protesters meant business
11. Even if you’re on the sesh, there’s a time for protest
12. The “what would my mam say in this situation” sign
13. They should be teaching this on the Leaving Cert
14. She can’t come to the phone right now
15. Expert use of tape here
16. Ever read ‘Sweet Valley High: Repeal The 8th’?
17. There was a serious message throughout
18. Because the best signs can be funny, serious and thought-provoking all at the same time
19. And next year might be the time when things finally change