VETS IN NEW ZEALAND have warned pet owners to be careful about what they leave lying around the house – after treating a large number of “stoned” domestic animals.
Veterinarians at The After Hours Veterinary Hospital say they have treated a range of animals under the influence of drugs, including dogs feeling the effects of cannabis and hallucinating from magic mushrooms, NZ Newswire reports.
Owner of the clinic, Keith Houston, told reporters that cannabis was not generally harmful to dogs but could cause them to feel distressed. He said that large doses of marijuana could be dangerous for small dogs, recalling a recent case involving a Chihuahua who developed hypothermia after eating too much marijuana (which had caused his blood cells to dilate), reports Stuff.co.nz.
Houston said animals had gained access to substances because of owner carelessness: ”One person had thrown all their hash lolly cake on the lawn, someone else had taken frozen [marijuana bud] heads out of the freezer and the dog ate it out of the garbage,” he said.
“If you’re stoned and lying around on the couch and you leave your biscuits out, then they’re going to eat them,” he added.