THE NEWS THAT one of Dublin’s largest student accommodation providers was to begin rolling out beds costing €235-a-week inspired eye rolls from a majority.
Seriously. That’s a LOT of dosh for students.
What kind of financial sacrifices would one have to make afford such lodgings?
Well, I’m glad you’ve asked. We’ve done the maths, so you don’t have to.
(Friendly reminder as well that this is just per week. Not, like, in total).
1. Wave goodbye to 47 four-packs of Pratsky
There’ll be no colds ones cracked open if you want any chance of securing a gaff.
2. It’s roughly 61 hot chicken fillet rolls
That’s if you take the price at the grand average of €4 (relish is extra).
Butter or mayo? Neither – unless you fancy commuting everyday from Mayo to Trinners, that is.
3. Those weekly 3-for-€10 Jaegerbombs? Say adios
To save up the Benjamins, you’d have to give up 24 rounds of the stuff.
Bonus points for investing in your liver as well as accommodation!
4. 158 refill pads could be yours for the cost of, eh, an actual pad
Can you really put a price on being that uber-prepared legend in the lecture hall doling out sheets like the Oprah of stationery?
5. That’s 67 Starbucks lattes slapped from your mitts
Well, according to Thrillist it is, anyway.
6. It’s 118 boxes of twisty fries from McDonald’s after a night out
7. It’s basically the cost of a “few bits” in Penneys
Yeah, just socks and jocks is it? And several hundred different sized makeup sponges? Keep dreaming hun.
8. It’s 237 packets of Koka noodles disregarded
The chicken variety, to be specific.
That’s lunch and dinner (maybe breakfast too? We won’t judge, we know people) ruled out for a considerably long time.
Hmm. After working out, having a gaff for the college year seems … Overrated.