DailyEdge.ie rounds up the TV shows that you’ll be tweeting about tonight and talking about tomorrow.
Gone Girl (RTE One, 9.45pm)
It’s that time of year when there’s a big premiere on every single night. This evening, David Fincher’s crime thriller based on Gillian Flynn’s novel hits RTÉ One. A woman disappears without trace on her fifth wedding anniversary. Her husband contacts the police, but struggles to cope as his marriage is scrutinised by the media. As his behaviour grows stranger and more evasive, he finds himself accused of her murder. Starring Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike and Neil Patrick Harris.
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (TV3, 9pm)
An American householder is dismayed when his plans for a traditional festive family holiday are thrown into complete disarray by a succession of annoying neighbours and long-lost relatives, who turn up on his doorstep offering their own brand of Christmas cheer. Comedy, starring Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo, Randy Quaid, Diane Ladd, Juliette Lewis, Miriam Flynn, Johnny Galecki and William Hickey.
Love & Mercy (RTÉ 2, 9.05pm)
Another premiere. Biopic of the Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson, following the singer-songwriter at two periods in his life. In the 1960s, he is at his creative peak, but haunted by inner demons that take their toll on his mental health. By the 1980s, he is a broken man dominated by a shady doctor, until a new relationship offers him a chance at recovery. Starring John Cusack, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti and Elizabeth Banks.
Everyone's talking about: Jamie Oliver making cocktails on Graham Norton last night
Will Smith's "Christmas negroni" line is particularly good - as well as his fake flirting with an audience member.
Or flick over for ...
- The Wolverine (Channel 4, 9pm) The former member of the X-Men is lured out of hiding.
- The World's Best Christmas Lights (Channel 4, 8pm) Documentary exploring the work of a Christmas decorating company from Liverpool - and they're very good at their jobs.
- Cinderella (RTÉ One, 6.35pm) The 2015 live action reboot, starring Lily James, Cate Blanchett, Richard Madden and Helena Bonham Carter.
- After the Headlines - Charlie Bird (RTÉ 2, 11.20pm) The journalist returns to Donegal to meet some of those at the heart of a case in the 1990s when a family mounted a legal battle to clear their name.
- Our Friend Victoria at Christmas (BBC One, 9.30pm) Trawling through the BBC archive to share highlights from Victoria Wood's career.