THESE DAYS IT’S all Whatsapp! this, Facebook messenger that. What happened to the days of simple SMS?
The days we remember fondly, before we could send graphics or connect to wifi.
1. Your keypad was like this
2. WB followed every text
How else would someone KNOW to ‘write back’?
3. Chain messages must be forwarded on
Only heartless cretins or those who wanted a ghostly child to attack them at night would write it off as a chain text. If you didn’t get the rose back, you could say goodbye to your friendship.
To make matters worse, they had to be sent one-by-one. No fancy group messages here!
4. Scroll down messages were the greatest joy
A constant cause for surprise. Of course, then the harrowing decision of which ones to save in your inbox came into play.
5. Finding the holy grail of free online messaging
Wasting 20c credit on a text? No more! However, there’s always the need to send a follow-up text to check if they got it.
6. Graphic smilies were but a dream
We weren’t even sure what they meant most of the time.
You definitely got one of these on your birthday.
Or the ship of fortune and good health. Lucky you.
7. The page counter was a thing of nightmares
Now with Twitter we know all about word limits but charge us for two texts if we add in a few extra exes? Raaaage. We blame this for the outbreak of hellish textspk.
8. Predictive text was a million times worse than autocorrect
There was no such thing as autocorrect, and only the amateurs typed letter-by-letter. Predictive text was like that annoying person who butts in to finish your point before you get the chance to. Leave it out.
9. Photos could only be sent as an MMS
Receiving one fuzzy photo of your mate’s cat could gobble up your entire data allowance. Disaster.
10. Spam subscriptions and horoscopes were the internet
Subscribing to expensive WAP-based crap was the premium mobile experience.
OH INTERNET, you’ve ruined us.