Originally published: November 14, 2015
THERE WERE EMOTIONAL scenes yesterday when the Liffey Champion shared a photo of the old Zinc nightclub being demolished in Leixlip. So today, let us remember all the good times down the Ozone, RIP.
The club ran through most of the noughties until it was changed to Zinc in 2009. It closed down completely in 2012 and we’re still not over it. If you were a regular back in the day, you’ll remember…
1. Refusing to call it Zinc
NO. It’s the Ozone.
2. Heading to the Loft for a few pre-drinks
Only the most enthusiastic arrived as the doors opened at half 10, with a few Darkies bottles in them. If you’re lucky you’d catch the bartenders walking over to open up shop.
3. Getting dropped off in a taxi right beside the queue
4. Going down the shitty hall to get to the smoking area
You literally walked into a shed and it held the best craic you could have in the O.
5. Constantly forgetting your Ozone card
The holy grail of the Ozone AND it came with free entry, get in.
6. Scoping out the little high stools by the DJ booth
The best place to sit, simply because they were near the back bar and the dancefloor. Don’t tell us you never climbed under the little gap after a few fat frogs.
7. The grim decoration
In the Ozone, it was bubbles. In Zinc, it was a bunch of lads underwater. Great job, guys.
8. The floor around the dancefloor was constantly sticky
And you’d notice it as you did a lap to see if anyone you wanted to score was in the vicinity.
9. This song constantly playing as you walked inSource: ClubEXPRESS/YouTube
Followed by this:Source: iMarkDD/YouTube
10. The illusive ‘upstairs’
Oh upstairs, what do you contain?
11. Getting in a fight with Teresa because you wouldn’t put your coat in
The mammy of the Ozone wouldn’t let you off with a BIT and aren’t you thankful now?
12. Back to the Ozone on Thursday nights
Consistently sparse with NUIM students, but it was all worth it for that last hour of 80s hits.
13. Attempting to get money out of the lobby ATM at midnight on a Thursday
It’s PAYDAY BITCHES.
14. When they introduced the over 21s bar and you were only ragin’
Nobody who is 21 even goes here! Let us at the secret bar.
15. You knew things were going south when these deals came in
The rumours it was becoming an Aldi would just NOT END.
16. The shortlived hotdog and burger stand
It was opposite the cloakroom and ran by the barman Jack.
17. The absolute bang of the river when you’d leave
Nobody will ever forget. From hot sweaty stuffy air, to freezing farty mouldy air.
18. No night was complete without going to Sam’s
… to buy a spiceburger and chips, before sitting on the benches outside the church to eat it and wait for a taxi.