Advertisement
This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Wednesday 20 November, 2019

#Gun Crime

A 22-YEAR-OLD man is in a stable condition in Beaumont Hospital today following a shooting in Coolock in Dublin in the early hours of this morning. Shots were fired outside a house on Adare Road just before 1.30am. A 24-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the shooting and is being questioned at Ballymun Garda Station.

FOUR PEOPLE WERE KILLED and three others injured in a shooting outside a restaurant in Buffalo, New York.

Police initially could not confirm if anyone from a party that had been held in the restaurant earlier that night was involved. It has since emerged that an argument at a private party in the restaurant spilled onto the street outside.

Shots were then fired, striking seven people. Police are still trying to determine who fired the shots, and how many people were involved.

Officers were called to the scene at around 2.30 am (7.30 am Irish time) this morning. Three people were found dead, and the fourth person died in hospital from their wounds.

One of the three people injured in the incident is in serious condition in hospital, but no details have been released yet on the other two. Witnesses said that one of the dead men was due to be married today.

ONE MAN HAS been arrested following a gun attack in Drimnagh, Co Dublin, early this morning. A gun was fired through the front door of a house at around 1am, Newstalk reports. The 20-year-old man is being questioned by gardaí at Crumlin.

A DRIVER at a beer distribution company shot ten of his colleagues, killing eight, before turning the gun on himself at a workplace shooting in Connecticut.

Omar Thornton (34) had worked as a driver for two years, but had been caught on CCTV stealing company products and had been summoned to meet with his management and reps from his trade union.

Thompson was told at the meeting, scheduled for 7am when staff were changing shifts, that he would be sacked if he did not quit his job – but opened fire as he was being escorted from the building.

He shot, apparently indiscriminately, at his colleagues – there were between 50 and 70 in the building at the time – and wounded ten of them, eight of them fatally. His victims include fellow drivers, a company executive, and the president of his local union.

“He came in to meet with the company, and after that all hell broke loose,” union official John Hollis told the New York Times. “He pulled the gun and ran through the warehouse.”

Police were immediately called to the scene, where they found Thornton in an office.

“He was alive when police responded,” according to the local chief of police. “Police began clearing the building.

“He was funneled into an office area and took his own life. We don’t know if he walked around randomly shooting, but we do know we found victims throughout the building.”

Thornton had reportedly complained to his girlfriend of being racially abused at work. Union officials said he had not registered any such complaints.

THE CONTROVERSIAL Facebook tribute to Raoul Moat has finally been taken down after causing public outcry. The page’s creator, Siobhan O’Dowd, 21, from Burnley in England, said she regrets creating the page but still feels sorry for him.

Facebook had refused to bow to public – and political – pressure to remove the page, and Ms O’Dowd removed it voluntarily. She told the Telegraph it had just been for her and her friends, who felt sorry for him but don’t condone his actions.

Thousands of people have expressed sympathy for Mr Moat, who shot three people, killing one. Apart from the Facebook group, people have been leaving flowers at the site of his death, and his home has become something of a shrine. T-shirts bearing his image were being sold for £8 on eBay. A second Facebook tribute page is still running.

Raoul Moat shot himself after a stand-off with police who had spent seven days tracking him in the countryside outside Newcastle. An inquest into his death revealed that just before his death, police had used a Taser on Mr Moat which had not been approved by the Home Office.

AN INQUEST INTO the death of Raoul Moat has revealed that the Tasers used by police did not have Home Office approval.

Moat died after a six-hour stand off with police in Northern England on Saturday. He had been on the run from the authorities for ten days following the shooting of three people, one of whom died.

The inquest found that two West Yorkshire police used XREP Tasers on Moat. The Tasers are still undergoing tests and police are told to use  discretion when deciding whether to use them.

A Home Office spokesman said the Tasers were “currently subject to testing by the HOSDB (Home Office Scientific Development Branch)”.

He added that the use of force is lawful when “reasonable and proportionate.”

“The process for approval of less lethal weapons is set out in a Home Office code of practice document on police use of firearms which chief constables must ‘have regard to’.”

It is unclear if officers used the Tasers before of after Moat shot himself.

Meanwhile, several Facebook pages have been created in tribute to Moat. One of the pages entitled “RIP Raoul Moat you legend!” has 28,173 fans. Another, called “Rest In Peace Raoul Moat XXX” has 674 members.

One fan, Ally Wyper, wrote “it’s just a shame he never gt a chance to take out more of the Polis.”

Floral tributes have also been left at the site where died and his old home. One note left outside Moat’s house in Newcastle upon Tyne read: “We have all felt your pain and anguish all week and our hearts were with you last night. You were just so misunderstood.”