1. You’re quickly made aware that yours is the hardest Irish accent of all to understand
“What… are you saying?”
2. Nearly every single person you meet thinks you’re Scottish
3. And they think the films Braveheart and Brave were based on your childhood
4. Even technology abroad can’t get a handle on the Northern brogue
You can’t change it.
5. But there are some words people will ask you to repeat over and over again like a performing accent seal
Once they hear that Nordie accent, a few of the usual suspects will be wheeled out too:
6. When you meet another Northern person your accent becomes that bit stronger
7. And you start speaking at about twice the normal speed because you know they can handle it
“What ’bout ye?”
8. Even if you’re only away for a short while, people back home will immediately claim you’ve “lost the accent”
9. Other Irish people abroad say they’re jealous of your twang because it’s just that little more exotic
The pressure of having the most popular accent isn’t the worst thing that’s ever happened.
10. And finally… you’ll catch yourself saying words like “wain” and forgetting that nobody else knows what you’re on about
“What does wayne mean?”
“Never mind, actually.”
DailyEdge is on Snapchat! Tap the button below to add!