IF YOU’RE FROM Swords, be it from River Valley or Swords Manor, you will know and love JC Savage’s Supermarket.
For almost 40 years, JC’s on Rathbeale Road has been showing supermarket chains how it’s done – and amassed a serious amount of loyal fans in the process. Here’s how you know you’re one of them.
1. You’ve purchased a wide range of goods from the Wanderley Wagon
Eggs, baguettes, DVDs, cake. There is nowhere that the Wanderly Wagon refuses to wander.
2. And regularly make a pilgrimage to the Wall of Value
3. Barry’s announcements no longer surprise you
But they still make you laugh out loud. “Chilean wine from Chile, Australian wine from Australia… When they’re gone, there’s more.”
4. You own at least one item of JCs branded merchandise
Lunchboxes, umbrellas, a sliotar… That iconic red and yellow logo has graced just about everything.
5. You recognised the bag on Blindboy Boatclub’s head instantly
6. And have Tagged-A-Bag while on holidays
It sadly is not as active as it used to be, but Tag-A-Bag Tuesday proved that JC’s reaches the four corners of the globe. Is this what patriotism feels like?
7. It’s no big deal to see Easter eggs on sale in December
Let the rest of the country freak out. You know it’s a JC’s tradition.
8. You examine everything for a pun
And you’re rarely disappointed, in fairness.
9. And always keep an eye out for the signs on Rathbeale Road
Put it in the National Gallery. It’s art.
10. You’ll happily claim it as a celeb hot spot
Yes, that’s actor Simon Bird (AKA Will from the Inbetweeners) in the toiletries aisle. No, no one knows why he was there.
11. You’ve even made exceptions to what you consider ‘junk mail’
This cheeky attitude is what you love about the place.
12. And you will forever support them in their rivalry with the Lidl (AKA ‘The Germans’) down the road
JC’s FO’ LIFE!