A SPECIAL VALENTINE’S Day-themed BAFTAs (complete with Kiss Cam) took place in London last night.
Brooklyn was named Best British Film, while Brie Larson took home Best Actress for her role in Lenny Abrahamson’s Room.
But the best moments, as always, had precious little to do with the awards themselves. Here are ten of the most important moments…
1. Saoirse Ronan looked gorgeous
Her dress was custom made by Burberry. Swish.
2. Leo DiCaprio and Dame Maggie Smith puckered up for the Valentine’s Day Kiss Cam
Is this not the most wonderful thing you’ve ever seen in your life? Then Eddie Izzard and Rebel Wilson did this:
GET A ROOM.
3. But Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander were having none it
They just sat beside each other awkwardly until the camera went away, and the bit was subsequently cut from the BBC broadcast. Yikes.
4. Basically EVERYONE made quips about diversity in the film industry
While introducing the nominees for Best Supporting Actor, Rebel Wilson discussed the ‘racist’ Oscars and praised BAFTA for having more ‘diverse members’.
But Sacha Baron Cohen aimed directly for BAFTA and the very white Best Actress nominee list:
Can’t see the video? Click here.
And the award for best white actress goes to…
5. Carrie Fisher and Domhnall Gleeson revealed themselves to be best pals
Paw firmly in the jacket. G’wan Carrie.
6. Host Stephen Fry paid wonderful tribute to the late David Bowie
Bowie’s track Heroes was used to soundtrack the Year in Film montage, after which Fry said:
Wonderful, not least of course the musical accompaniment from the creative genius that was the magical and deeply missed David Bowie. Film benefited from his unique gifts as an actor, producer and musician. The world is a far more monochrome place without his colour and vitality.
7. Mark Ruffalo fanboyed over just about everyone present
Here he is cheesing with Richard E Grant:
And trying to get a sneaky selfie with fashion designer Valentino, his partner Giancarlo Giammetti, and John Boyega:
8. Kate Winslet delivered a stonker of a speech after winning Best Supporting Actress
She dedicated her award to ‘all the girls who are doubting themselves’, saying:
When I was 14, I was told by a drama teacher that I might do OK if I was happy to settle for the fat girl parts. So what I always feel in these moments is that any young woman who has ever been put down by a teacher, by a friend, by even parents, just don’t listen to any of it.
“Because that’s what I did. I kept on going and I overcame my fears.”
9. She also squeezed Leo’s hand on the way up to the stage
Jack + Rose 4eva!
10. And Cuba Gooding Jr presented a single red rose to Stephen Fry
Obviously they couldn’t top last year’s cheeky snog, but the romance lives on…