Dublin: 12 °C Friday 24 May, 2024
hair of the dog

Poisoned puppy cured by getting drunk on a bottle of vodka

Ruff weekend, eh?

DOWNING VODKA USUALLY results in more harm than good, but not for this Maltease pup.

Poor little terrier Charlie was left with hours to live after he found some coolant in owner Jacinta Rosewarne’s garage and decided to have a taste.

Vets in Melbourne concluded that the little dog may suffer from kidney failure as a result of ethylene glycol poisoning, and the only treatment was to get him completely locked.

aae-charlie-vodka AAE AAE

The vodka binge saved little Charlie’s life, altering the antifreeze chemicals so that they can be easily flushed out of his system. Such treatment is the only antidote for such poisoning in Australia. Charlie was administered 700ml of vodka over two days via a tube through his nose and then intravenously.

The Animal Accident & Emergency took to their blog to reassure everyone that Charlie was doing well after his big weekend, saying that he had a “huge party” in the Pet ICU.


His owner Rosewarne told the Herald Sun that her terrier was “definitely drunk” after the liquor hit.

He was stumbling around, I’d go to pat him and he’d push me away like a normal drunk person, he was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk. I thought it was hilarious. It was distressing but funny at the same time.

But all’s well that ends well. Charlie went home after his two day treatment, still nursing a hangover.

Never again, poor pet.

7NEWS / YouTube

This Welsh local news story will leave a bad taste in your mouth>

Colin the Pomeranian was ROBBED at Crufts, and here’s why>

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.