FLIRTING DOES NOT come naturally to many Irish people, this much we know.
But within the mix of awkwardness, bad jokes and silence there are some identifiable techniques:
1. Nodding and saying “Howya”
Then walking away to your friends, thinking that polite acknowledgement is “progress.”
2. Asking whereabouts in the country they are from
Suddenly county borders matter to you.
3. Frantically checking whether you have any mutual friends from college
“What year did you graduate? My friend was there in 2011.”
4. Getting your friends to do most of the talking
Because shyness will work.
5. Desperately trying to make eye contact
Even when it’s a hazard to your safe walking.
6. Texting vague messages after a night out
Wouldn’t want to be mentioning any details, oh no.
7. Never, ever texting back immediately
8. Trying to look classy when eating with them
It might not work so well when it’s garlic cheese chips at 2am, but it’s an essential part of flirting nonetheless.
9. Consuming some alcohol at the bar to boost craic levels
Suddenly, your flirting game ups a notch or two.
10. Never taking a compliment
It’s part of Irish flirting and won’t change.
“Ah, would you go away out of that.”
11. Leaning in for the shift at the wrong moment
No Irish person has a strategy for this. There are loads of good times to lean in for the shift but you choose the one moment when it’s awkward.
Somehow we struggle on. Good luck out there, everyone.