Dublin: 5 °C Sunday 16 May, 2021

It's time Ireland settled on a word for the remote control

Zapper, flicker, clicker, remote — WHAT’S IT CALLED?

piece Source: Flickr

THE REMOTE CONTROL has a sacred place in the Irish family home.

It causes rows, it acts the maggot and it somehow gets lodged down the side of couches.

Despite the crucial role it plays in our lives, however, we still don’t have *one definitive name* for it.

YtUIVU1465464649 Source: Flickr

Depending what house you’re in, you could be calling it a…


Not the most imaginative choice, we’ll admit, but at least there’s no room for ambiguity.

GRMQs31465466731 Source: Flickr


A favourite for Irish families. Makes it sound like it’s used to defeat aliens and makes a ‘pew-pew’ sound.

dhpzvf1465466831 Source: Flickr


Definitely coined by a Dad who couldn’t remember the correct word for ‘remote’ and just called it the “flicky thing”.

locsQL1465466928 Source: Flickr

We’ve also heard…

  • Controller
  • Channel changer
  • Clicker

In a bid to settle this once and for all, we’re asking you, reader…

What do you call the remote control?

Poll Results:

Remote (3591)
Something else entirely! (547)
Zapper (337)
Flicker/clicker (167)
Controller (85)
Channel changer (24)

DailyEdge is on Snapchat! Tap the button below to add!

About the author:

Amy O'Connor

Read next: