BEING IRISH CARRIES a number of heavy responsibilities.
And one of them is to know the words to a number of carefully-selected songs, drummed into you from birth, that can be roared out on any dancefloor anywhere across the land at 2.30am.
Those seen skulking at the bar during these numbers face having their passports taken away. Here are the compulsory songs that every Irish person must know:
1. The Saw Doctors – I Useta Lover
2. The Baywatch theme tune
3. Mark McCabe – Maniac 2000
LIFE. IT HAS NO MEANING.
4. Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan – Rock ‘n’ Roll Kids
5. Liam Harrison and the Goal Celebrities – Give It A Lash Jack
6. Aslan – Crazy World
7. The Proclaimers – 500 Miles
8. The Home and Away theme song
9. Sultans of Ping – Where’s Me Jumper
10. Bagatelle – Summer In Dublin
11. Johnny Logan – Hold Me Now
12. Fields Of Athenry
(Most often sung like this)
13. And the guitar riff to Dearg Doom by Horslips.
Effectively, the guitar riff IS the words to this song. Does it even have other words?