Dublin: 13 °C Tuesday 26 October, 2021
Advertisement

British woman finds eggs of the world's most poisonous spider in her shopping

It’s on me. It really, really feels like it’s on me.

TESCO HAVE APOLOGISED after a British woman discovered eggs from the extremely poisonous Brazilian wandering spider on some bananas she bought in the store.

Abby Woodgate from Essex first thought a white lump of mould was growing on the fruit, but when she poked it with a toothpick, a cocoon opened to reveal dozens of eggs.

She threw the fruit in the bin, but some eggs had dropped on the kitchen floor. She hoovered them up and called Tesco to complain.

The company sent pest control experts to her home, who told her she’d have to burn anything that came in contact with the eggs (including her bin and vacuum cleaner). Burn EVERYTHING, we say.

A spokesman for Tesco told The Guardian:

We set ourselves high standards for the food we sell and were concerned to hear of this incident. We’ve offered Mrs Woodgate a gesture of goodwill and will be asking our supplier to investigate.

Fun fact: The venom of the Brazilian wandering spider is being studied for use in treatments for erectile dysfunction, as its bite can often cause an erection that lasts for up to four hours.

You learn something new every day, eh?

Watch this biker’s incredible escape by sliding under a truck Hollywood-style>

This video of an extremely deep swimming pool will give you weird feelings>

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)