DO YOU FOLLOW the RTE Archives on Twitter?
If not, you’re really missing out. The Archives are a wealth of social history, shared cultural memories and brilliant nuggets from the State broadcaster down through the years. Their Twitter accounts sends out little snapshots of Ireland’s past, along with Vine clips, features on old programmes and videos of events gone by.
(PS -if any of the short clips below catch your eye, the full versions are nearly always available to view with more information or a connected story at rte.ie/archives.)
1. 21 year old Bernadette Devlin in 1969
Voting for the first time in an election – and winning a seat.
2. Remember the new £5 note?
3. “And if the wheel has come full circle…”
A memory of Heaney.
4. Somewhere on an LA Highway, 1989…
Zig and Zag cruise with Ian Dempsey. (This is definitely the DailyEdge.ie top pick. Brilliant.)
It’s a young #VinB!
6. A snapshot of life in the Aran Islands
Back in 1974.
7. A poignant take on emigration
The loneliness of London, 1969 – still appropriate in 2014.
8. The shortest St Patrick’s Day Parade ever?
An “arduous 25 yard route”.
9. A beach in Dublin, 1984
The production team for The Women’s Programme train for the Mini Marathon.
10. Were you guilty of getting involved in the 90s line dancing craze?
SOLD – Stamp Out Line Dancing, headed up by Dustin the Turkey.
11. Dancing Gardai
Seachtain na Gaeilge, 1983.
12. Original pirate material
Vibe FM, 1999.
13. The 1998 Winter Olympics
The Irish bob sled team. Cool Runnings or what?
14. The Savoy in Limerick closes up shop
The venue closed in 1989.
15. Ireland hosts the Eurovision Song Contest in 1971
Yes! In colour and everything.
16. Girl band mania in 1999
With these girls getting a makeover on Echo Island. Spot anyone you know?
17. Reckon your local Garda could do this?
Garda Training College, opened in 1964.
18. Explosion on O’Connell Street
The Irish Army complete the destruction of Nelson’s Pillar.
Do you remember any of these moments from RTE? Or do you have your own favourite memory? Let us know in the comments.