1. Cuddling is great, but you need your own space for sleeping
Spooning, while enjoyable in short bursts, is not really conducive to a full night’s rest.
2. You have in-jokes that you’d be mortified if anyone found out about
It makes no sense, but you’ll still fall about the place laughing at it.
3. And weird words and sayings that only the two of you understand
Again, no one else should ever have to find out.
4. You’ve done things for each other you never thought you would be OK with
Plucking, squeezing, scratching… You have no idea what ‘too gross’ means any more.
5. A perfectly timed cup of tea can be the most romantic gesture of all
6. You have no idea how to advise your mates on Tinder tactics, because you’ve literally never used it
7. People expect you to be a package deal
Which can be nice, but also, WE’RE OUR OWN PEOPLE.
8. You owe each other so much money that you’ve stopped keeping count
“Will you get that takeaway?”
“I got the last one. You get it.”
“But I got us those new bedsheets and tea towels.”
“And I got the washing powder!”
Repeat ad infinitum.
9. You’ve started genuinely caring about their hobbies
You know, like how Man U are doing or who they reckon will win this season of RuPaul’s Drag Race.
10. You don’t need to try and impress each other any more
The lack of pressure is incredibly freeing.
11. You’ve stopped apologising for bodily functions
Farts, tummy gurgles, periods – it’s whatever, man.
12. Your text messages have taken on a very different tone
13. And your fights are a lot less earth-shattering
Now that the status of your relationship isn’t in doubt, you’ve moved on to argue about the dishwasher and who should leave the house for milk.
14. It is possible to be comfortable around your SO’s parents
The initial meeting was awkward, yes, but now you all sit around watching Gogglebox like you’ve known each other for yonks.
15. And it is fantastic to have someone to rant to at length
You’re afraid of boring/annoying just about everyone else, but not your other half.
16. Most importantly, you’re best pals
Best pals with a world of benefits. Awesome.