This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 6 °C Tuesday 21 January, 2020

UK Eurovision singer SuRie told Phillip and Holly that the stage invader who stole her mic left her with bruises

The stage invader was taken into police custody immediately after the incident.

Eurovision Song Contest 2018 - finals Source: DPA/PA Images

THE SECOND MOST shocking incident at this year’s Eurovision (after Israel’s win), was the stage invasion that took place during the UK’s performance.

British singer SuRie (whose real name is Susanna Marie Cork) was performing her song ‘Storm’, when a man wearing a bandana and a backpack ran onto the stage and grabbed the microphone from her hand.

Source: Sack Boy/YouTube

The man was taken into police custody immediately after the incident and Eurovision released a statement:

The EBU regrets a stage invasion took place during the UK performance at the Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final in Lisbon this evening. The person responsible is in police custody. The UK singer SuRie and her team were offered the option to sing again but decided not to because they were extremely proud of her performance and have decided there is absolutely no reason to perform the song again.

Eurovison Song Contest 2018 - Finals Source: DPA/PA Images

Since arriving home from Lisbon, SuRie appeared on This Morning with Phillip and Holly, where she discussed the whole incident.

PastedImage-94024 Source: ITV

The singer told Phillip and Holly that she had no idea someone had come on stage until he was right beside her. Phillip asked her was she afraid:

Some guy appears, we’re all fully aware of the political situations around the world and what has happened in other large venues… So, were you terrified?

SuRie told Phillip Schofield that there was no time to feel any fear, because of the quick reaction from security. She said that she just turned and began to clap along with the audience, because she had no microphone. When she turned around, she noticed the microphone on the  ground and decided to carry on with her performance.

Source: This Morning/YouTube

SuRie then told Phillip that she wasn’t majorly injured, but was left with some bruises on her hands from where the assailant wrestled the microphone from her hand, as well as bruises on her shoulder.

This isn’t like a prank. This is much more serious than that.

DailyEdge is on Instagram!

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Kelly Earley

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel