Dublin: 16 °C Monday 22 July, 2024
The brown recluse spider Wikimedia

US family flees home after thousands of deadly spiders 'bleed out' of the walls

That is exactly the verb they used.

WE THINK WE have it bad over here with our yearly autumnal spider menace, but it could be it a lot, lot worse.

A US family were forced to leave their home after discovering thousands of dangerous brown recluse spiders living in the walls.

A brown recluse spider bite can lead to very serious health issues (including kidney failure) depending on the amount of venom injected.

Gawker reports that Brian Trost and his wife Susan purchased the home in Missouri in 2007. Soon after they moved in, Susan said, the brown recluse spiders started “bleeding out of the walls”. Shudder.

According to the St Louis Post-Dispatch, it was estimated that there were between 4500 and 6000 spiders living in the house during the less-active winter months:

…[Trost] saw spiders and their webs every day. They were in the blinds, the air registers…the fireplace. Once when she was showering, she dodged a spider as it fell from the ceiling and washed down the drain.

After trying and failing to control them, the Trosts were left no choice but to leave the house to the spiders.

The family have sued the previous owners of the house for not informing them of the infestation before they bought the property.

We hope they’ve included a long clause about the emotional damage they (and we) have endured as a result of the case.

giphy Giphy Giphy

This is what happens when you claim to have Ebola on an aeroplane>

Should you pee in the shower to save water?>

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.