1. Being just the right age to enjoy Zoey 101
2. Which meant craving the fictional beverages in Zoey 101
3. And the food. Remember how good those crisps Quinn invented for Michael looked
4. Being too old to enjoy iCarly to the same extent
The canned laughter was insufferable.
5. All the coolest boys on your road wore these
6. Hoping the bouncer at Spin would believe you were over 12 so you would get in
7. The very weird fashion trends of your early teens
8. You definitely owned one of these phones at some stage
One of these ridiculous stick phones
This Nokia was the slimmest phone of the time, it almost felt like it had been made for texting in your skirt pocket in school.
The Samsung Tocco below started at £350 when it first came out. Can you imagine paying even €50 for that now. It had a front camera that you couldn’t even use for selfies. It only worked for video chatting, which cost about €9 per minute back then.
But the most iconic phone of your early teens:
I still distinctly remember the smell of plastic off this phone for weeks after it was new. It smelled so expensive.
9. The Dominos ads before The Simpsons on Sky OneSource: dw2productions/YouTube
Even though there were very few Dominos branches in Ireland at the time.
10. Being lucky enough to have all of your embarrassing childhood photos deleted off Bebo when it shut down
11. But now that means most of your tagged photos on Facebook begin at either junior night or that time it snowed in 2010
12. Trying to figure out just exactly what a recession was in 2008
CSPE teachers especially were bombarded with questions about how long it was going to last.
13. Having to ask your mam if your friends could come in off the road to play in the house
Crossing your fingers and saying “Mam, can me and ____ play Playstation?” then being told no because it wasn’t raining out. Then trying your friends house next, and inevitably being rejected again. Kids nowadays are just like “Mam get out, me and ____ are playing Playstation”.
14. The days when the “piping went” and the TV just showed static on every channel and there was no internet to fall back on
If this happened on a rainy day, you were doomed.
15. You or someone you know owned this t shirt
Or one like “Someone who loves me very much got me this t shirt in Benidorm/Ibiza/Salou/Where ever your nanny liked to go on holidays”.
16. Living through the country’s weird obsession with Playboy and Marilyn Monroe merchandise 2005-2008
Things have clearly changed. There was once a time where half of the Argos catalogue was full of Playboy stuff.
17. Witnessing the horrifyingly rapid increase of Freddo prices
These were 15c when we started school. Today they’re 40c. By the time we are 50, you will probably need a mortgage for one.
18. How we somehow all had the same skipping ropes in school
Where the hell did all of this blue rope come from?
19. Learning Irish from a skeleton and his skeleton dog
20. When iPods and Wii’s first became available to us
How many people blew their confirmation money on one of those iPod Nanos? Wii controllers that people couldn’t hold onto smashing TV screens and furniture became one of the biggest scandals of 2007.
DailyEdge is on Snapchat! Tap the button below to add!